Just as avoiding being chosen in the first place is our best defense outside our home the same holds true inside our home. So what steps can we take to make our home less attractive to criminals? Well first we have to think like our criminal. What is he looking for? Make no mistake criminals do their homework there are certainly crimes of opportunity but in many cases the criminal will recon a neighborhood looking for his target
- Reward – Is the risk worth the reward
- Vacant – Unless you are the reward he wants to be in and out with no fuss.
- Concealed Approach – he wants to be able to enter and exit your home without being observed by neighbors or a passerby who may raise the alarm.
- Surreptitious Entry –He wants to get in quickly and quietly so he can have maximum time to carry out his crime.
With these thoughts in mind let’s think about simple cost effective measures we can take to make our criminal look elsewhere.
Actions. With a few minor adjustments to our normal routines we can avoid drawing attention to ourselves or giving information to would be criminals.
- Vacations – Don’t announce your vacation plans on Face Book, Twitter or any other social media and don’t post pics till after you return. Stop your mail. Have a neighbor visit your home at random times each day to give the impression of occupancy. Consider putting a timer on lights throughout the home.
- Trash – Don’t put that new flat screen TV box out by the trash for pickup. Consider a trip to the local dump/recycling center with any high value item packaging. Consider a paper shredder for all your sensitive documents.
- High Value Items – Don’t display high value items like jewelry, antiques, guns etc. Where the can be seen from outside your home. Keep your garage door closed.
Landscaping . Paying attention to the landscaping around our home can pay huge dividends in reducing the risk of being targeted.
- Shrubs/Trees/Fences – Shrubs trees and fences are great for providing privacy but if placed incorrectly provide privacy for the criminal. Fortunately with a little thought we can have them work for us. Don’t plant shrubs or trees in front of windows or around doors. They allow a criminal to stay concealed while they break in. If you must Plant in front of windows consider thorny shrubs like Bougainvillea. Any gates in side fences should have locks.